Archives Association of British Columbia (AABC) and Yukon Council of Archives (YCA) 2021 Joint Conference
October 26, 2021 09:30 - October 27, 2021 16:20
Theme: We walk many paths: archival journeys in British Columbia, Yukon, and beyond
The AABC and YCA are pleased to announce a joint conference in 2021. We are seeking proposals on the theme: “We walk many paths: archival journeys in British Columbia, Yukon, and beyond.” The conference will explore the many different journeys and experiences of archivists, recordkeepers, and other information professionals in preserving, accessing, sharing, and celebrating records of all kinds across British Columbia, Yukon, and beyond.
Archival and recordkeeping practices across British Columbia and Yukon are all unique and take different paths to meet the needs of communities and their documentary heritage. Let’s take this opportunity to explore what archives can become and the creative ways people have reinterpreted archival perspectives and practice. The AABC and YCA invite participants to reflect on and share their experiences in reimagining archives and celebrating stories of their archival journeys.
Suggested topics include but are not limited to:
- Experiences and case studies of Indigenous, family, and community archives
- Decolonizing vs. Indigenizing vs. Reconciliation in the archives Indigenous policy making
- Geo-locating historical records
- Case studies and/or resources for “lone” arrangers (archives with 1-2 staff)
- Managing “non-traditional” archives, such as oral history, artifact and ephemera collections
- Elders and storytelling
- Healing and/or regaining spiritual identity through archives
- Trauma-informed approaches in managing archival programs and services
Papers, experiences, and presentations highlighting British Columbia and Yukon experiences will be prioritized, but the Conference Committee invites anyone to submit a proposal related to the theme.