Canadian School Library Day 2022
October 24, 2022 00:00 - 23:59
Theme: Inventing the Future in the Library Learning Commons
Canadian School Library Day celebrates the central role that school libraries play in the education and development of young people.
CSL applauds the brilliant work that school libraries accomplish every single day across Canada. We invite everyone to shine a light on how learning in the Library Learning Commons is making a difference in their school, and share their accomplishments on Canadian School Library Day.
The theme of CSLD 2022 is Inventing the Future in the Library Learning Commons. Necessity is the mother of invention, as the saying goes, and nowhere has this been more evident than in the response of school library professionals across Canada to the realities of the ongoing pandemic. And inventive you have been! CSL has been tracking the trends, and here’s what we’ve seen:
- Increased development of the virtual library learning commons
- An emphasis on digital literacy and global competencies
- An emphasis on diverse collections and inclusive programming
- Attention to the role of the library in supporting wellness
- Expanding student engagement through making and doing, including virtually
- Outreach to the whole school community to inspire reading and learning
Canadian School Library Day provides a welcome opportunity to celebrate how school libraries are rising to the challenge so creatively, helping to shape the future of education.