IFLA to Live-stream Selected WLIC Sessions
August 13, 2017
IFLA, the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, today announced that selected sessions of the 2017 World Library and Information Congress (WLIC) will be live-streamed.
Sessions to be live-streamed include:
Sunday, August 20
10:30 am to 12:00 pm (Wroclaw time) – Opening Session
Toronto: 4:30 am to 6:00 am; Vancouver: 1:30 am to 3:00 am
- An official address to Congress delegates by Donna Scheeder (IFLA President) and Gerald Leitner (IFLA Secretary General)
- An official address to Congress delegates: Letter by Andrzej Duda, the President of the Republic of Poland
- An official address to Congress delegates by Prof. Piotr Gliński, the First Deputy Prime Minister and the Minister of Culture and National Heritage
- Welcome to Wrocław and Poland by the chairs of the National Committee: Rafał Dutkiewicz (Mayor of Wrocław), Elżbieta Stefańczyk (President of the Polish Librarians’ Association) and Tomasz Makowski (Director of the National Library)
- Keynote speech by Prof. Richard Butterwick-Pawlikowski: Where Were You Going, Poland?
- A Short Story of Wrocław: A theatrical show which presents the history of Wrocław, starting from the legendary settlement Budorigum and ending with the European Capital of Culture. The show will be coordinated by a narrator who guides the spectator through the history of the city. Seven parts of the show will represent historical periods of time by means of singing/music, motion, and adequate projections.
Monday, August 21
8:30 am to 9:15 am (Wroclaw time) – IFLA Highlights Session
Toronto: 2:30 am to 3:15 am; Vancouver: (-1 day) 11:30 pm to 12:15 am
The Highlights Session is the quickest way to find out about all of IFLA’s main projects and initiatives. Come along, plan your week, make the connections, discover something new, and meet the IFLA President, the IFLA Secretary General and the team from IFLA Headquarters who’ll be there to answer your questions throughout the week.
9:30 am to 12:45 pm (Wroclaw time) – Libraries: A Call to Action – IFLA President’s Session
Toronto: 3:30 am to 6:45 am; Vancouver: 12:30 am to 3:45 am
The president continues her call to action with this session. IFLA is setting out a Global Vision, which will empower all of us not just to survive, but to thrive into the future. The President’s Session will offer the biggest opportunity yet to listen, to reflect, and to contribute to this work.
A first panel will share insights on the changes and challenges we face, and a second will exploring how we can turn these into opportunities. The highlight, however, will be your participation, as IFLA asks you to share your views on the key questions we are asking as part of the Vision. Be there!
Thursday, August 24
4:15 pm to 5:30 pm (Wroclaw time) – Closing Session
Toronto: 10:15 am to 11:30 am; Vancouver: 7:15 am to 8:30 am
1. Address by President Donna Scheeder
2. Presentation of Awards
3. Thanks to the outgoing Governing Board
4. Introduction of the new Governing Board
5. Announcement of WLIC 2019 location
6. Invitation to WLIC 2018 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
7. Vote of thanks WLIC 2017
8. Address by incoming President Glòria Pérez-Salmerón
9. Close of the Assembly
Follow IFLA on social media for further live streaming announcements.
For more information about WLIC, visit https://2017.ifla.org.