Theme Issue of Off the Record on Archives and Indigenous Issues
October 23, 2016
The latest issue of Off the Record, the Archives Association of Ontario’s (AAO) newsletter, is a theme issue on Archives and Indigenous Issues.
From Off the Record editor Grant Hurley’s announcement:
The theme section of the issue includes:
- A series of three diverse holdings profiles that shows archivists looking critically at their collections and seeking to provide a wider public profile for Indigenous-related materials:
- Anne McKeage at the Archives of Hamilton Health Sciences Archives;
- Kyle Neill at the Region of Peel Archives; and
- Danielle Shrestha at the Indigenous Art Centre at Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada.
- A features section with three contributions:
- Eric Pouliot-Thisdale writes about his experiences conducting crucial establishing demographic research in Canadian archives to identify War of 1812 Warriors and Residential School students from Kahnawake and Kanesatake.
- Janel Cheng and Richard McKibbon write about the promising work of the Archives of Ontario’s Indigenous Relations Working Group and its focused approach to direct action extending from the TRC’s Calls to Action.
- And Krista McCracken writes about her experiences in the founding of the Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre (SRSC) Archives and its collaborative, supportive working principles.
The issue has been specially made open access so that interested non-AAO members can benefit from the fantastic contributions to this issue.